Working with Workspaces
When you’re writing, you probably want to arrange your windows and views to focus on the manuscript or screenplay. When you’re outlining, you likely want to use the Outline view. When you’re revising, you may want to see the manuscript and screenplay along with your notes.
It can be cumbersome to size your views and configure the display preferences to suit your needs, so Storyist provides the ability to create workspace snapshots to quickly recall your settings.
You can split a view horizontally or vertically. Storyist even lets you nest split views, so you can create quite complex view arrangements.
To split a view, position the cursor in the view you want to split, and then choose one of the following:
- View > Split > Split Active View Horizontally. The active view is split so that the views are stacked one on top of the other.
- View > Split > Split Active View Vertically. The active view is split so that the views are arranged side by side.
To close the active split view, choose View > Split > Close Active Split View.
To close all split views but the currently active view, choose View > Split > Close Others.
Opening a New Project Window
Sometimes it is useful to have multiple project windows open. Not only can you see multiple project documents at one time, but you can also take advantage of Spaces to streamline your workflow.
To open a new project window. choose File > New > Window.
Creating a New Workspace
When you have your windows and views arranged to your liking, you can take a snapshot for later recall.
Workspace snapshots contain:
- A list of open windows.
- The split view sizes and arrangement.
- Display setting for each view.
To create a new workspace, do one of the following:
- Choose Window > Workspaces > New Workspace. The Workspaces window appears with a new workspace (titled “New Workspace”) enabled for renaming.
- Choose Window > Workspaces > Manage Workspaces.
- Click the Add (+) button. A new workspace appears.
The Workspaces window lets you create, update, switch between, and delete workspaces.
To view the Workspaces window, choose Window > Workspaces > Manage Workspaces.
To add a workspace for the current project configuration, click the Add button.
From time to time, you may want to update the image or settings for a workspace you use frequently.
To update an existing workspace:
- Select the workspace.
- Click the Workspaces action (gear) button.
- Choose Update Workspace from the menu.